Sunday, January 21, 2018

Frugal cooking: When it doesn't work out

I'd mentioned that a friend gave me a huge bowl of veggies for Christmas/Birthday. Mostly they were root vegetables, which keep. I've used all of it except for two turnips. I'll make something out of them tomorrow.

I used the acorn squash last weekend. I'd looked up a recipe to use it in a different way than the usual 'cut in half-scoop out seeds, roast' kind of cooking.

So I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, and then sliced it into crescents. THEN I roasted! LOL, kind of the same but different. I thought the slices would make a nice side dish of portions that would be easy to drop in my lunch bag each day.

I followed the recipe, but maybe I sliced the cuttings too thinly, because they came out sort of dry. Hmmm. What to do.

The other day when I was home on a snow day, I peeled the skin edges off and I was left with a mound of dry-ish squash slices. I decided to make a soup. I had some good chicken broth left so I put a sliced onion into the pot and cooked until it was translucent, added an already baked potato, cut up into cubes, and the squash. I simmered that at very low temp with some spices. I put half of it into the blender when it cooled, and left the other half to make a texture of smooth chunks. It was very good! Saved the squash, I'm brilliant!

I then promptly ruined it by adding some milk (as the recipe suggested). It just tasted funny to me, squash and milk. It wasn't good like a bisque or a chowder. It was just funny. So I saved my squash only to ruin it again. I'm an idiot! I should know when to quit while I'm ahead! LOL.

What will I do now that it didn't work out, twice? Why, eat it of course. No waste. I'll live, it only tastes a little bit funny. Maybe I'll add a melted bouillon cube broth to it to think the milkiness of it. Anyway, tomorrow I'm making lentil soup. Back to familiar ground.

I'd bought some tilapia and I baked it a few days ago. I had one slice left yesterday. Without being able to eat bread, I couldn't make a sandwich out of it like I enjoy doing, with cheese and a tomato. (mmm). Just a slab of fish meat doesn't really appeal to me all that much. I decided to use my last two mushrooms and the rest of a tomato and make a little salad with the fish, cut up. I added Italian dressing to it and a bit of salt, and voila, a chilled salad that was easy to prepare, tasty and healthy. I enjoyed it. I'll do that some more. Tilapia is usually low-cost and available at the grocery store.

I still love a fish sandwich though, one of my favorite lunches.

I'll make the lentil soup tomorrow, and I have some green beans and tofu that I'll make into a stir fry with rice noodles. I also have a good bit of fruit which includes fresh pineapple, and with the ripening bananas I'll make two-ingredient banana-oatmeal cookies.

After an unusually frigid period of temps in the low teens and wind chills in the single digits, we have a reprieve of temps in the 60s. It is going to be a nice day. I went outside at sunrise and took a few photos of my yard.

This is my favorite view. I LOVE this birdhouse.













5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't you hate it when you accidentally wreck a meal?! I did that one time, substituting a needed ingredient (that I lacked) for another (that I had on hand), thinking, "this is close enough, it should be ok". Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Usually, like you, we will just eat the dish, as not to waste. Unfortunately, this one time, I rendered the meal absolutely inedible. It was so bad, it was laughable.

The birdhouse is so pretty, what a lovely picture! And loved your post on - and pictures of - the moon.

-Carolyn

Angela said...

Both your blogs bless me so much. As a homemaker/mom, and a very part-time counselor..it feels like my life is very mundane...punctuated by helping people in extreme crisis. I love how you describe simple things and take beautiful pictures of nearby scenes..reminds me of the beauty in the day to day.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thanks Carolyn! Yes I do hate when I do that! I do it when I just don't pay attention.

Thanks Angela, I'm so glad you said that, because it's my goal to show the beauty around us and hopefully enjoy what we have, the small things of the everyday...

Anonymous said...

One idea for squash soup would be to either put it in the blender or use the immersion blender on it to make it smooth. Just be careful as hot liquids expand and splash, so do it in batches. And evaporated milk is usually better in soup than regular milk.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thank you for the tip. I am going to make squash-pumpkin soup wiht the roasted squash I'd made. I was wondering why my chowder turnhed out a little gray, I think evap milk is a great solution! Thanks so much!