Friday, December 29, 2017

Of Ink Spots, airline road, and china


A trip today on the back roads to Ila, and The Special Store, is a swooping, soaring ride at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It made me think of my favorite ride of all time, The Airline Road, Route 9, in northern Maine.

It is not named for airplanes, as the road was first surveyed in 1797, and began to be used more heavily in the mid 1800s when the stage came through. It is specifically a segment of Route 9 from Bangor to Calais.
The leg from Bangor to Calais is often referred to as "The Airline" commonly thought to be due to its shorter route than the older U.S. 1. (Before the coming of air travel, the term airline often referred to such a shortcut.)  Wikipedia


However, the local legend is that it's called The Airline Road because of the geography. As you drive, the elevation is a little higher, and the vistas are sweeping over the blueberry barrens, glacial fields, pine forests. It feels as though you are flying at low altitude over the tree tops, soaring and swooping with the eagles. It's incredible.

When you handle a good machine, it feels great. I was driving a VW Passat. It's built like a tank, meaning solidly. It traverses the bumps as if they were pillows, and the interior is practically sound proof. I was singing to my music and enjoying the Georgia scenery, as well as liking the handling of the car.

Is there any better feeling, of being free and unencumbered, on vacation, driving and singing, on a sunny day?

My journey took me to The Special Store. I've mentioned this place before. They buy from estate sales and then resell, but seemingly for pennies. The prices are incredible and the quality of the items is astounding. It's a bargain hunter's dream come true. It's like a treasure hunt inside of a museum, but you get to take home the cool stuff you find.

Speaking of taking home, this is the stuff I got today:

Aynsley fine English Bone China is among the best to collect. It's a good name. I thought the gold was elegant. From Parcels-of-time.com:
The name "Aynsley" has been connected with English bone china tableware, giftware and commemorative items since it was founded in 1775 by John Aynsley dans le Staffordshire.  The company is one of the last remaining manufacturers of bone china in Stoke-on-Trent, the historic centre for the production of English bone china.
Over the last 200 plus years Aynsley grew into a well-respected china company that was commissioned by royalty and that exports china to over 70 countries. Although modernisation changed many working practices in Stoke-on-Trent, Aynsley kept the traditional method of throwing and painting china by hand.



The proprietor told me the book published in 1982, run with the horsemen, was by a local man, by Ferrol Sams, who went to Emory and is now a doctor. It's a coming of age memoir of growing up in Middle Georgia. She's read his works before and recommended them. So I picked it up. It has good reviews on Amazon and from the NY Times also. I got the Hibbert book because I love King Arthur.



Ahrenfeldt is one of the factories that made Limoges fine bone china. Charles Ahrenfeldt was active under this particular mark, from 1890 to 1930.


I haven't researched the history of this pattern, so I don't know why the double handle. Yet. It's so elegant though.



My car has a cassette player and a CD player. I got "30 years of No. 1 Country Hits", the "Ink Spots", and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". Also Gospel/Contemporary music by Phillips, Craig, & Dean, and the Mamas & the Papas. I used to listen to them on the radio when they first came out. Oy I'm old. The teacups and saucers were $3.15 each.

If you don't know of The Ink Spots, here is from Discogs.com
The Ink Spots were a popular African-American vocal group who gained international fame in the 1930s and 1940s. Best known for their recordings of Pop ballads, The Ink Spots were frequent chart toppers totaling over 50 hits in their 17 year recording career. Their best selling record "If I Didn't Care" sold over 19 million copies and is currently the 7th best selling single of all time. Bill Kenny (leader) disbanded The Ink Spots in 1954 however many spin-off or imposter groups have been performing and recording ever since. 
The proprietor and I reminisced about when music was music, the radio station had an actual DJ you could call and ask for some particular piece of music, do dedications, and the people's interest and votes made the songs climb the charts, not a corporate robot DJ with a shove down your throat song list. Oy, I sound like a grouchy old lady. "In my day sonny boy..."

The car I'm driving has a terrific sound system and I played Mamas/Papas all the way home.

The music was 50 cents apiece.


It's a retro 1960s glass vase, hand blown.


Still life, with vase:

So that was my day. I'm now having orange spice tea from the Aynsley cup and about to start the Sams book.

Have a good weekend and Happy New Year everyone.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

A VW Passat? New to you? Glad you enjoyed your cruise and trip to the Special Store! Sounds like you got some good finds that you're really enjoying.

-Carolyn

Elizabeth Prata said...

Yes, it's new to me. It is a 15 year old, 175,000 miles vehicle owned by a friend that I'm test driving for a week or two to see if I like it. I had tea out of the Aynsley cup last night and I enjoyed it so much

Anonymous said...

I think I remember you mentioning that the vehicle (a minivan, correct?) you got to replace your previous car (the tank of an explorer with the cracked engine block demise) has been a bit disappointing. I hope this VW works out for you, since you seem to like it. :)

That Aynsley cup is very pretty. God gives you such wonderful treasures to enjoy! That's one thing I've never had - a nice tea cup. It probably would offend the sensibilities of many, but I drink my tea out of a corelle mug. Sometimes my over-practicality gets the better of me!

-Carolyn

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thanks, I think it's pretty too. As much as I've always enjoyed tea, I never did the entire tea ritual with the pot and the steeping and the bone china cup until I went into a vintage store in my town. I'd avoided it because I'd heard they were expensive, and they were- on furniture. But I spotted a Tuscan bone china trio in Duchess pattern for almost pennies, I was hooked from then on. That store eventually closed but then I discovered another one up the road and I'm still going with it. The Aynsley cup & saucer was only $3.

I love having beautiful things around me, that is important to me. I like the age and history to them, also. My Hall's teapot is 100 years old. And it's still in great condition. How much tea has it poured...who poured it...And the tea ritual is soothing because of the self-care aspects.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

The two handled cup is for consommé rather than tea.

Enjoy your treasure!

Elizabeth Prata said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you so much! That makes total sense. I can just see a lady delicately sipping consomme from it. Thanks for letting me know :)

Anonymous said...

How did the Passat work for you? Did you decide it was a keeper?

-Carolyn

Elizabeth Prata said...

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, it's a good car! So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying daily. :)