Friday, November 29, 2019

Travel Vignette: Paris, The City of Light

By Elizabeth Prata

On and off over the years people occasionally mention that they are aware of my travels, and sometimes comment that I should write about them. I've thought about it too. Mainly, the past makes me tired. Yes, I've had wondrous adventures, more than ten women, in fact. But I don't dwell on the past and I dislike memories.

Recently an autistic youtuber began another channel of hers, a new Youtube channel of short video vignettes illustrated by cartoons, and those are very fun to watch and listen to. So, it might be fun for me and others to read some travel vignettes. Here is one from my first day in Paris.

I had traveled to Italy several times, alone, with a friend, and with my husband, and with my husband and father. My husband wanted to go to a place he was interested in, and that was Paris. I was only nominally interested in France, being enamored of Italy and entranced by the British Isles. I was amazed and happily surprised by its beauty and I fell in love with France too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Flawless flight, surprisingly good meal on board plane. Transfer from the airport was nice to have, really jet lagged. Walk aimlessly, looking at Lipp's, Au Deux Magots, and the Seine! Beautiful river with lots of 'bateau mouches' buzzing up and down the water. Really beautiful.

Manage to get into our room early and after unpacking fall into a grateful sleep.

The shower is hot!! Long one, dress. Husband and I walk the neighborhood. The Brasseries look good, so good. Eclairs, petit fours, breads, and rolls, glistening and all artistic. Warm night...perfect.

Dinner at the famous Lipp's Brasserie. Wonderful! Super ambiance; tile floors. glowing wood. I had salmon caviar and fresh green beans in garlic mustard sauce and a glass of red wine. He had cassoulet. Wow!

Got on the air conditioned tour bus and took us around Paris from 10:00-11:30 pm. It truly IS the "City of Light". English narration extolled the delights of Paris, which included the Arc de Triomphe, the Place de la Concorde, Champs Elysees, and the Louvre. But this taped narration didn't have to extol much, the city is undeniably gorgeous. All white marble buildings, huge and stately. Thousands of floodlights illuminating the marble so it glows softly. Fountains of blue water lighted from behind with soft lights so the splash of the fountain sprays light in a thousand directions.

But the delight, the highlight, must be the Eiffel Tower. Who would have thought the wrought iron steel could be so beautiful. Orangish lights on every level light every rivet, straight tot he crown ringed with red lights. Grounded solidly to the earth yet soaring up to the sly weightlessly. Truly magnificent.

Our long walk back tot he hotel, 30-40 minutes, was great. Warm air and an illuminated city lay before us. On the way sidestepping other amblers out and about. I stopped at a creperie and strolled the streets of Paris nibbling on a warm apricot crepe and laughing.


No comments: