Saturday, November 17, 2018

In which I welcome a new brother and sister to the china set

You guys know I love visiting The Special Store, a store that resells for low prices items they have bought at Estate Sales. It's part museum, part store, part treasure hunt. The inventory rotates frequently so it's fun to go and hunt, and there's always surprises. I went up there yesterday to inaugurate my Thanksgiving week off by browsing and admiring. I did have a hard time giving up on the nice Renoir beautifully framed. I don't need more art. Not yet anyway ;)

I had a nice time speaking with the clerk lady and browsing.

They were having a 50% off towel sale so that was the reason for going and the primary item on my list. Functional, always looking to be functional in my purchases. Also the store owner has come into possession of a lot of Christmas items and I need a nativity. I saw one in the photos they posted but when I arrived I saw that the nativity turned out to be about 3 feet wide, lol, so that was a big NO. I nned one like, 3 inches wide.

I did see the new china set they'd acquired. I was intrigued. Pottery mark said Nasco; out of Japan, the sticker said. Mid-century, 1950s specifically, I surmised. As you know, I have a small apartment and a tiny kitchen. Not a lot of room to display things. I decided to buy this sweet salt & pepper set and replace the plain glass salt shaker I have on the stove with this prettier one. Cute, isn't it!



The problem with vintage salt and pepper shakers is that the cork at the bottom is usually missing. This set had cork in both the salt and the pepper. Win-win, I can buy a functional piece that functions!

After I cleaned and filled my shakers, I turned to admire the pieces I already have. Aren't they pretty? I like looking at pretty things. Then of course I brewed a pot of tea.

Tuscan fine English bone china, Duchess pattern

Mid-century Homer Laughlin, Cavalier Eggshell, Spring Song pattern

Noritake teapot, Japanese, Chatham pattern

Mid-century modern, Vernon Ware, American, Raffia pattern (as seen on Mad Men)

1980s Kutani teapot (Japanese); 1920s Hall's teapot, (American) Philadelphia shape

Syracuse China, Federal Shape, (American) unknown pattern

Noritake, (Japanese) Glen Rose pattern


I'm grateful today for last night's refreshing sleep, for waking up early, for my stroll in the crisp pre-dawn, hearing the birds (at least 3 different kinds), for Fall leaves and busy squirrels...and for Jesus, Lord of all.

Have a great weekend everyone.





No comments: