Sunday, October 01, 2017

October already? Also, the County Fair

It's cool and fresh this morning, though the daytimes are still inexplicably in the 80s and even the 90s. My car thermometer read 100 one day this week. It had been sitting in a hot parking lot all day though. Still hot. The steering wheel was too hot to touch!

Anyway it feels good to feel the fresh breeze. I got up and baked this morning.

As is my routine, on Sunday mornings I cook and bake stuff for the week so that when I arrive home from work, I don't have to spend a lot of time preparing meals, but sit sit down and write and study. I love that our church begins at 3:00! I have the entire morning to awaken slowly, sip coffee, and cook and do these things that make my week go better.

 This morning I made 3-ingredient oatmeal 'cookies'-



Also, roasted chick peas, baked potatoes,  three pieces of fish, and gluten free strawberry muffins.

I have to go gluten free now. I knew it was coming, and I didn't want it to, but it came anyway. My mother has celiac disease and she's extremely, highly sensitive to gluten. Those who are in the inner circle of relationship of those with celiac, have a 1 in 22 chance of being gluten sensitive also. I had been feeling pretty terrible for months, but the symptoms were so disparate that I could not put my finger on what was the matter. Having avoided the obvious, a couple of weeks ago I had a low point of high pain, limited mobility, constant headaches. I decided the pain was not worth the bread. I sat down and dug in and found that all my symptoms, varied as they are, coincided with celiac.

I cut out all gluten for two weeks and I immediately felt better. Sigh.

So now I am re-orienting myself to a new mindset of cooking, shopping and living. Gluten free items are expensive, and I do miss making sandwiches. I'll figure it out eventually.

The gluten free flour was on sale so I picked it up and made the muffins. LOL, I didn't have blueberries so I substituted canned strawberries I had in the back of the cupboard, and I didn't have buttermilk so I substituted regular milk soured with vinegar. The substitutions didn't seem to harm the baking any. Next time I'll cut down on the amount of sugar. I don't like sweet muffins and there's always to much sugar in recipes for my taste. I'd already made enough swaps to interfere with the recipe so I didn't dare cut back on sugar this first time, but next time I will.

The county fair was in town and I haven't been since 2009. It's only two miles down the road so Saturday evening I went. They close at 4pm and re-open at 6, and I was there at the re-opening. The light was low and golden, the famed "Golden Hour" photographers love each morning and evening. Since I was there right at the beginning, there were not too many people and I got a lot of clear shots of the fairway. I can't seem to add a slideshow to Blogger posts so sorry for the many individual pics.
















3 comments:

Grace to You said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I'm waiting for a new gastro doctor to join a practice this month; I'm on the list for an appt with her because I've been having a lot of digestive issues this year. I'm lactose intolerant and have wondered if that's been it, because I do eat cheese and cottage cheese, but they haven't bothered me much in the past (I've learned that the full-fat dairy products don't have as much lactose in them). I just looked up the symptoms for celiac and they cover a lot of what's going on.

I'm thinking of doing the same experiment you did, but I'm wondering - do you think it's important to have an official diagnosis?

Elizabeth Prata said...

I hope you can get your intolerances resolved! It is no fun to be intolerant to something you have no clue what it is.

It's probably good to get an official diagnosis. But I am not going to. ;)

Anonymous said...

I’ll have to check in for gluten-free recipes. My husband (David) has been g-free for quite some time and I’ve only recently begun to embrace it and make g-free meals for all of us. He feels so much better (belly-wise) when he sticks to it but it hasn’t helped his chronic migraines, unfortunately.