Saturday, September 02, 2017

A Bug Reaction

Yesterday after school I laid down for 20 minutes for a quick nap. The air was so fresh and the bed so inviting. I woke refreshed after some minutes and headed to the kitchen. On the way over I was scratching, I sat down with some spring water and scratched some more.

Now, my skin both inside and immune system inside is extremely sensitive. The skin at the wrist and elbow were raising up in huge red welts. It felt like a thousand fire ants were marching under my skin. Literal. Fire. In. My. Skin. Welts getting higher. And redder. SOMETHING BIT ME! This was the arm that laid on the bedspread. Oh no! Something bit me IN BED! This calls for immediate war.

I am so terrified of bed bugs (and any other bugs in my bed, like spiders) that after washing the wrist and elbow with sugar scrub I went to the bed and closely examined the bedspread, which is white. I saw nothing. I tore off the spread and examined the top sheet. Nothing there. I yanked off the top sheet and examined the bottom sheet. Nothing. I ripped off the bottom sheet and examined the mattress pad. Nothing. I pulled the mattress pad off and examined the mattress. Nothing. I lifted the mattress and looked at the box spring. Nothing. I got the flashlight and examined the seams. Nothing.
I gathered the bedding I’d torn off, went to the garage and put it immediately in the dryer to kill any bugs that had escaped my minute attention. Then I remade the bed. After a hot, frenzied hour. I sat down to my now warm spring water. I saw the bug.

It was a mosquito.

Well at least the sheets are changed.


#vividimagination #overreactionperhaps

6 comments:

Grace to You said...

There's nothing like clean sheets, no matter how you arrive at them. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

So true! And with the low 60s for temps, sleeping has been a pleasure the last two nights. I dare to hope fall has finally arrived.

Grace to You said...

I wish I could say the same! It's in the 90s here...I keep reminding myself that it's bearable with the low humidity...but I'm looking forward to cooler temps all the same.

Grace to You said...

It's September 23 now and the high tomorrow in Denver will be 54 and possibly snow mixed with rain - woot!! :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

Sounds cool and refreshing! It is supposed to be hot here for at least another week. I turned the AC on again, sigh. 91 degrees yesterday, I was miserable. So... waiting it out some more. Hope springs eternal that fall will one day arrive.

Grace to You said...

Isn't it strange that 90 degree weather in September is so much more miserable that it is in the summer? I've semi-made my peace with hot weather in the summer but it's just wrong past the fall equinox. :)